The memorial commemorates the concentration camp inmates cremated in the Steyr municipal crematorium in 1941 and 1942. Their urns were stored temporarily in a shed and buried in a crypt in 1948. Later an asphalt path was laid across the crypt.
The crypt was opened in 2011 on the initiative of the Steyr Mauthausen Committee. After several years of research, the contents of eighty-four of the eight hundred or so urns were identified. These names—standing for all of the people buried in the crypt—were inscribed on a memorial plaque.